The Buddy System (Officially known as the On-boarding Partnership Checklist and Procedure, but everyone just calls it the Buddy System) is a system where new Visiting Professors in our guild are assigned to mentor with one of our more tenured professors to help show them the ropes of life in the University! The system is probably self explanatory, but here's some details to help show how it'll work:
Tenured Associate Professors will be given the first opportunity to volunteer to take on a buddy. If no Associate Professors are available, Assistant Professors may also volunteer. Professors must of course be in good standing to volunteer.
Professors will be responsible for getting the Visiting Professor up to speed on how we do things by engaging in the following activities together:
- Help them get acquainted with both when & where our events take place each week; show them the locations of our Conclaves, Debates, and Colloquiums, and explain our usual weekly schedule (as well as where they can find it later)
- Encouraging them to volunteer for roles (such as usher, advertisements, storytelling, etc.)
- Engaging with them in RP, particularly on Tiki night where they might still be shy in a larger group
- Teaching them about the forums, showing them how to add things to their character's portfolio
- Checking in with them throughout their 30 day trial period to see how they're doing
This should be a great chance to help our new professors learn the ins and outs of how the University functions, and how they can pitch in to keep this guild a wonderful, inclusive, friendly community that our server can be proud of!