<!-- [if gte mso 9]> <![endif]-->
<!-- [if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE <![endif]--><!-- [if gte mso 9]> <![endif]--><!-- [if gte mso 10]><![endif]-->
Course: Pandaren Martial Arts 1 (PMA-1)
Instructor: Wong Fei-Hung.
Instruction: M-T-W-TH-F 8-10:30 Morning, behind Olivia’s Pond.
Office: Main Office.
Office Hours: M-T-W-TH-F 2-4 Afternoon, Main Office.
REQUIRED TEXT: Hand is Quicker than Eye: But You Should Have Been Watching the Foot, 1st Edition, by Wong Fei-Hung.
Student Learning Outcomes: At the conclusion of this class, Students should be able to:
1 Demonstrate basic knowledge/theory of Pandaren martial art.
2 Differentiate between different Pandaren martial art techniques.
3 Demonstrate basic meditative and discipline practices.
4 Physically demonstrate basic knowledge/theory of Pandaren martial art.
This course is a BASIC study of Pandaren martial art. This course will not only focus on the physical aspect of Pandaren martial art, but will also include the philosophical aspect and approach to what is Pandaren martial art. The philosophical aspect of Pandaren martial art will be covered as extensively, if not more so, than the physical aspect. However, student’s should still be prepared to make a physical effort in this class. Physical activity will vary, but students should be prepared to do some running, sprints, and muscle building activities.
STUDENTS SHOULD NOT EXPECT TO MASTER ANY GIVEN STYLE THAT IS DEMONSTRATED DURING LECTURE/INSTRUCTION. TO MASTER EVEN A SINGLE STYLE TAKES YEARS, IF NOT DECADES OF DEDICATED PRACTICE. THIS COURSE SIMPLY OFFERS STUDENTS A GLIMPSE OF PANDAREN MARTIAL ART AND CULTURE AND LETS STUDENTS EVALUATE IF THEY WISH TO CONTINUE IN THESE PRACTICES. DO NOT EXPECT TO BE CHEN STORMSTOUT IN ONE TERM.
- · Please be on time. Arriving late disrupts students that are already engaged in morning activities or lecture. If you are late for demonstrations, you will not be able to participate!
- · No sleeping. I realize this class is rather early for some, but please be responsible enough to plan your night accordingly to get good sleep, that way you are able to show your fellow student’s, and your instructor the proper respect during instruction.
- · No use of gadgets or gizmos during class. You do not require any sort of fancy gadget for this class. They are distracting and disrespectful to the rest of the class.
- · No talking or private conversations. This class will give you ample opportunity to share your thoughts and insight on various topics, but during times when you’re asked to listen, please do so. Also, please be mindful of your fellow students when they ask questions or give responses.
- · Be prepared. Please complete reading assignments prior to attending class, that way you can actively participate (your grade depends on this). Reading assignments contain practice methods, which you may or may not be required to demonstrate in any given instruction period.
- · I reserve the right to dismiss any student at any time (WITH AN F GRADE) who’s behavior is detrimental to class environment, or dangerous to other students. STUDENTS WHO PRESENT THEMSELVES AS A DANGER TO MY STUDENTS WILL BE DEALT WITH ACCORDINGLY.
Grading: Grading will be done considerably different in this class. Students may be used to percentage-based grades for assignments, but this system would be very difficult to implement in this class. Though a letter grade will be submitted for transcript purposes, these will not be percentage based. Grades will be given based on ability, determination, respectfulness, and participation in discussions. (Note: simply because a student does well in demonstrations does not mean he/she will pass this class. Effort must, must, MUST, be shown in all areas in order to meet satisfactory progress.)
Demonstrations: Pandaren martial arts are physical, but also a highly spiritual practice. Students will be required to show that they familiar with these concepts in demonstrations which will consist of a physical, and spiritual/philosophical portion. It is crucial that students be on time for demonstrations. Failing to arrive on time shows a lack of respect for the class, and will result in the student’s exclusion from the demonstration.
Make-up Demonstrations: If students must miss a demonstration for any reason (excluding for being late or expelled from a demonstration), the student must reschedule the demonstration within the same week. This can be done either after class, during office hours, or via certified post (I do not want to hear excuses of ‘I sent a letter but it got lost in the mail’). Demonstrations must be rescheduled as soon as possible in order to be considered satisfactory and valid. (note: Accepted reasons for lengthy absences will be at the instructors discretion. Family emergencies are generally accepted, but please do not send a letter saying that you have to reschedule because you went on vacation.)
Attendance: Attendance is mandatory, and will be taken at the beginning of class. You will be required to place a placard on a board to sign in. If you are not present by the time the placard cabinet is closed, you will be considered tardy. Students who accumulate too many absences will be dropped. (note: it is YOUR responsibility to drop this course if you determine it is not for you. Any drops done by the instructor will be done so with an F grade.)
Communication: This course will most likely require you to seek additional instruction for a variety of reasons. Students who have questions regarding the instruction or a given assignment may find me after class for approximately one hour. If you are unable to stay after instruction, you may find me in the Main Office from 2-4 in the afternoon on most days. If you are unable to reach me in either of these locales, you may send me a certified letter through the post. I try to respond within one hour of receiving post.
Accommodations: I realize that this school has many students with physical, medical, or emotional disabilities. This, however, should not discourage you from participating in this class. Pandaren martial art is about bettering one’s self, not beating everyone else. In this class, there will be every effort to aid those that are interested in learning the material. This class expects you to understand, not master.
REMINDER: THIS COURSE WILL REQUIRE A PHYSICAL BACK-AND-FORTH BETWEEN STUDENT AND INSTRUCTOR. THOUGH ATTEMPTS WILL BE MADE TO MINIMIZE PHYSICAL CONTACT, PLEASE BE PREPARED TO TAKE A STRIKE
Excellent job, Wong! :D
I'm both pleased and impressed with this syllabus. It looks like you put a good amount of time, effort and thought into it! Certainly sounds like some of the more extensive syllabi that I've seen on real college/university campuses!
This is obviously the heavily abridged version, as Amara's copy was an enormous 40-page long stack! ;)
~^~ Amara ~^~