It's that time of year again! Winter's Veil is soon approaching and with this in-game holiday season comes yet another IC opportunity for us to celebrate among friends and family alike in grand Stormwind University fashion! :D
As the title states, this will be our FOURTH annual Winter's Veil Ball, and I'd love to see it be our best one to date! Our guild roster has changed quite a bit over this past year in particular, and with that, I look very much forward to some great input and fresh perspectives from our "new blood", should anybody have any suggestions!
While input is welcome from everyone willing to offer it, I would also like to see us continue tradition and form an Event Committee to make sure things are done officially and all opinons/suggestions are acknowledged and considered! :) Any member in good standing with the guild may volunteer, but bear in mind - being a part of the Winter's Veil Ball committee means that it will be YOUR responsibility (As part of the team, of course! - NOT a solo effort!) to help make it happen! I will, of course, be on hand as always to aid and advise, but I'd very much like to see what others can come up with this year!
Some brief criteria:
- The venue we have chosen perenially for this event is Fort Wildervar in the Howling Fjord area of Northrend! As with many of the buildings and architecture throughout the game, the fort is decorated festively for the duration of Winter's Veil. It's a wintery wonderland looking area and very spacious, with the main lodge itself looking warm and cozy with plenty of room inside despite how compact it looks from the outside!
- We are looking to make this year's Winter's Veil Ball more interactive! In the past, we've offered a slew of different events each year to entertain our guests and keep them engaged! Some examples include: A scavenger hunt (performed through riddles), a "mini-Conclave" (holiday themed storytime), a Winter's Veil themed costume (transmog) contest, along with various other raffles, door prizes and giveaways!
- The invitation list tends to include guilds, smaller (non-guild specific) groups and individual persons who are consistent friends and supporters of Stormwind University! ALL faculty (guild members, regardless of rank) are welcome to attend, with a "Plus One" rule in effect! (Note: Please check with myself or Caniell first before formally inviting said +1!) While our Winter's Veil Ball has been Alliance-only in the past, in light of the Cross RP add-on and our (ir)regular visits to the Quilen & Cloud Teahouse, perhaps cross-faction festivities may be possible?
- The SWU Winter's Veil Ball can take place at any time during the in-game Winter's Veil season, and does NOT need to coincide at all with RL Christmas. In fact, December 25th - Christmas Day, for those who participate in the holiday - should be off-limits for scheduling, in order to allow for everyone to be with their families and not need to worry about rushing online for an event! :D
I think that's all I've got for now! For those interested in being a part of this year's Winter's Ball Committee, please post here to express your interest! The sooner, the better, so that we can get started on planning this event and making sure the invitations go out to our guests with as much time and advance notice as possible!
Thank you all in advance for your time and efforts!
~ Amara ~
Ideas. Here are my ideas for now. They need refining but they are the basics.
- A Secret Santa Mystery: Multiple people dressed as Santa (Father of Winter's Veil). Attendees are given clues (presents) in which to find out who is the real Santa. The winner receives a TBD prize.
- Naughty or Nice Gifts: Seers read attendees futures by palm or card to determine whether they are naughty and nice and give an appropriate gift.
- Poetry/Short Story Contest: Mini-conclave themed around Winter's Veil. Best story or poem wins a prize.
- Christmas Portraits: Have a Christmas portrait made of you or you and your friends. (Need to find an artist that can be paid or willing to make quick sketches or use camera and edit screenshot)
Alright I finally have a moment to address some stuff.
- I like all of Lynae's sugestions except the portraits, and that's mostly a practicality concern. If we can get card-readers other than Amara so they can have some time to enjoy the festivities, I especially like that idea.
- We need to settle on a date! I am currently looking at the 26th (day after Christmas) if people will be available, but I need feedback.
- If anyone has suggestions for the invite list, please add them to this thread promptly. We will need to send out invites ASAP
- Related to the above, this is the first year that it's possible to open the festivities to our friends hordeside and I'd like to discuss it.
- If anyone has questions or suggestions please either contact me in private or post them here.
I am not at all available during XMas week but don't let that stop you from holding the party then if it works for everyone else!
I am also pro-Hordeside interaction for this event.
If I'm available to attend, I will gladly hold a Raffle like I did for the anniversary party.
I am pro-Mini Conc, and SUPER pro-Winter Veil Garb Contest.
The only days I'm not available would be the 23rd-26th. Unless it's late at night on the 26th, then I might make it and be a big fashionably late, depending on when I get home. Other that, I'm cool with any date for this.
As for ideas for events, I sadly don't have anything that hasn't already been said. I'm a Halloween guy, not a Christmas guy so I don't really know what all people do for Christmas.
My input, taken directly from the Discord "Sign Up" channel:
"The 26th is the day after Christmas and one week away. I'd have much preferred the invitations have gone out at least a week in advance. It's the holiday season, people are traveling and doing things with their families, etc. It's my experience that most people tend to make their in-game plans much in the same way they do their IRL plans."
Any other related input I might have on the situation, I'll post at a later time (but ASAP) when I'm not elbow-deep in multi-tasking.
not that it's a yeah or nay - just a minor fyi: Zhangshe's potential plus one is Zhuo (Pandaren farmer hosting SWU's animal husbandry field work). She's unavailable 30th Dec - Jan 2.
Blizzard's decor may be gone, but if we want a longer lead time irl the holiday season traditionally extends to 12th Night / Epiphany (Jan 6).